Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Fairytales

This month the UK Etsy Challenge subject was simply 'Fairytales' and my imagination went wild! Then I thought realistically about what I could and couldn't manage!

I drew inspiration from my favourite stories as a child and recalled how I used to copy the illustrations from the books.....pencil drawings it had to be! I originally chose four fairytales 'Cinderella' (my fave film used to be 'The Slipper and the Rose' with Richard Chamberlain and Gemma Craven!) 'Alladin', 'Snow White' and saving the best until last 'The Princess and the Pea'....

I wanted to create something which suggested a darker and even more mundane side to 'fairytales'. So, heavy pencil drawings lent themselves well to this and made a refreshing change to my usual bright cheery images and notecards.

The first images I drew were the mirror from 'Snow White' and the lamp from 'Aladdin' as small ACEO's (artists cards which measure a tiny 2 1/2" x 3 1/2")


I was really pleased with them until I started on the other illustrations!

The next pieces I drew were inspired by 'Cinderella' and I actually like raggy Cinders best and actually imagine living in the kitchens with a nice open fire, fresh veg and mice for pets to be quite nice actually! Hence the reason for my rather unglamorous take on 'Cinderella'


The next illustration is my favourite and really the only one I could choose when thinking of 'The Princess and the Pea' A favourite as a child the imagery has stayed with me and it's such a fantastic tale!



These inital illustrations have since become prints and a set of notecards to form my entries into the challenge. Here are the finished articles.....


My challenge entries have been submitted to the Flickr group along with all the others and voting for peoples favourites will be opened at the end of the month! I'll be sure to blog about the winners and display there work too!

No comments: